Saturday, May 05, 2007

Back from the RT Convention and Feeling So Damn Good

I love conferences. It's a chance for me to learn what's new in the industry, meet new friends and make connections. I shared room with my girl Kimberly Kaye Terry, my partner in crime, and the author that put together the Big Spankable Asses anthology. We met at the last RT and have been friends every since. We think a lot alike and bumped heads once or twice, but I wouldn't trade her. We help each other and it's rare when you find an author who is willing to work together without feeling threatened or jealous. We worked that conference! She and I networked, met with friends, made new friends, and gave a awesome multicultural panel. It was wonderful seeing people from different races all in one room discussing blacks in the publishing industry. One editor mentioned that it was an eye opening experience for her, another said she has a vision to bring African American romance to the forefront. I felt so proud being a part of this event and to meet editors who ARE interested in what we write. I hear so much negativity about how the RT Convention isn't for us but that is a bunch of BS. WE need to stop sitting in the corner feeling sorry for ourselves and instead do what we have to do to be recognized. I have to say I learned some very important things at that conference that at this moment I am putting to action. Because the only person who controls my destiny is me.

4 comments:

Vivi Anna said...

Angie, I feel blessed to have met you at RT. You have an explosive energy that I really liked. Hanging with you and Kim was the highlight of my conference.

My gut still twinges when I think about our secret project that we plotted out at breakfast!! LOL

Angie Daniels said...

Vivi Anna, I feel the same way. We connected girl! and that is rare for me. Kim's my girl. With all that energy generating, she and I are like firecrackers! I can't wait until we can get started on our secret project. he-he!:~)

Kimberly Kaye Terry said...

Oh My GOD!!! our "secret project" is going to be off the damn chain, fo sho!! ROFLMAO!!! Only the three of us could come up with some crazy shit like that. Dear God in heaven!

::Kim giggling over our awesome, threesome...chortle::

ShelleyT said...

Ms. Davis,

Just a quick question for you. I am a pre-published author seeking agent representation. My past experiences are leading me to believe that there is a very narrow margin for african american genre. Would you find this to be correct? Thanks, Michelle